Courthouse Annex

Flint, Michigan

Project Summary:

57,620 gross s.f./5 stories

In association with the Vitetta Group and Sorensen Gross Construction Company, CHMP served as Architect of Record and developed preliminary and final designs for this 57,620 S.F. expansion known as the Courthouse Annex.  Key elements throughout the design process included technology updates; A.D.A. compliance; historic restoration, security measures and overall site aesthetics.  State mandated family court facilities along with circuit courtrooms, offices and support facilities were incorporated in the planning.  Renovations to the existing courthouse were also addressed while respecting the historic expression of this landmark building.

The original Courthouse, constructed in 1925, was first registered on the National Register of Historic Places in May of 1990.  Our mission was to work closely with the Genesee County and Michigan Historic Societies using the preservation briefs to restore the Courthouse to its original state while carefully implementing code compliant and technology upgrades.  The effort included removal of suspended ceilings and mechanical systems installed in the 1970’s for restoration of walls and ceilings including reconstruction of original art pieces and ornate plaster work.